Sunday, January 9, 2011

Speak No Evil




Today I saw the above picture in my timeline on twitter, and most people were disturbed and out right disgusted by it. I did however receive a response that annoyed me a bit. This is the convo with "@Joski_LOVE" ......

them "see, thats wrong. 1st off thats butter & pecan... not light vs dark. but yeah, I feel your angst. LOL!!"

Me "not laughable at all but yea"

Them "[giggles] "

Me "still dont get the joke"

Them "I was being funny..cuz them heauxs are not models for light/dark they both light.

Me "still not funny, the topic is disgusting and making light out of it (no pun intended) adds to the sad situation of race here"

Them "whatever. things in life are never that damn serious. color will & always be an issue with the black community. period."

Me "I love that people will use the thought that a problem will always be around to support their ignorance.Race issues are ALWAYS serious, and will only remain if people neglect to take them serious instead of laughing at them."

Them "you look real stupid, if you can't laugh or find humor at even the most ignorant of things..."


Sadly its when you're finding entertainment in ignorance that you look completely stupid. Finding humor in this battle of superiority of complexion is ridiculous. This is a hurtful topic that has hindered lives of many, not just in the African American community but around the world. This conversation leads me to believe that people would rather poke fun at something they don't like to make it more tolerable than put in work to make a real change. As a person with a darker skin tone i find nothing amusing at all about this. Lend your voice to something greater than you, even if it doesn't cause change in your life personally remember like Dr. King Jr. said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." So get in a place where you can be a voice for "liberty and justice for all"... in my heart i see no evil, speak no evil and will hear no evil that i will not speak out against.


4 comments:

  1. I commend you on this post as usual you come with nothing but education and the truth this is why I adore you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Chad & I commend you for standing up for your rights. People always take things so light-hearted until it's their mother, daughter or sister that's involved...then it becomes a serious matter. Like you, I find nothing funny about the ad, in fact its quite sad for and by all parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of anything so ignorant and I've seen a lot of ignorance courtesy of social media. At the same time, I am somewhat...removed from worlds like this because I would think that everyone would evolve out of this after undergrad, and for me that was a decade ago. (Then again I didn't go to parties then either).

    It's unfortunate that the creators of the party lack such creativity that they couldn't come up with something else. I always say that where racism lives creativity cannot. Racism (even within the race) is born out of ignorance, creativity born out of the quest for the expansion and expression of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. This is by far one of the most trying issues in our community, self-loathing.

    ReplyDelete