Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Natural Selection


This month we have lost 4 (scratch that, its actually 9) young men as a result of gay bashing. When reading their stories I cried and cried and my heart screamed out to these young men. You see most don't know but when I was pulled out the my senior year of high school my life was thrown into a whirlwind. My parents became physically, emotionally, verbally, mentally and even spiritually abusive. My college career, family structure, self worth and stability were threatened. I clearly recall washing dishes hand and arms in the sink of hot water full of knives thinking that surely I deserve to be free from this place and I could end it all with a slit of my wrist. Luckily I failed at suicide and I had two teachers (Dr.Kathy Garland and Dr. Susan Archer) that refuse to see me be fed to the wolves and became permanent fixtures in my progress and stayed on me to ensure I graduated and entered college. Unfortunately not everyone is afforded the benefit of having teachers like I had. Today someone posted to my FB that this is some type of "natural selection" weeding out the weak people. When asked about creating a safe zone in the class room recently a teacher told me that we didn't speak on those type issue here in the south. WELL, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DON'T SPEAK ON IT?
Billy Lucas (15) September 9, 2010. Indiana

Cody J. Barker (17) September 13, 2010. Wisconsin

Seth Walsh (13) September 19, 2010. California

Tyler Clementi (18) September 22, 2010. New Jersey

Asher Brown (13) September 23, 2010. Texas

Harrison Chase Brown (15) September, 25 2010. Colorado

Raymond Chase (19) September 29, 2010. Rhode Island

Felix Sacco (17) September 29, 2010. Massachusetts

Caleb Nolt (14) September 30, 2010. Indiana


Lives gone! Stop the bullying!

REST IN LOVE GUYS! I'M FIGHTING HARD TO ENSURE YOUR STRUGGLES WON'T BE IN VAIN

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for being a voice for so many youth who are silent about this issue. It IS unfortunate that a teacher would say that "we don't speak abou those issues in the south" because after all, we are in the south, and these issues are prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our societal silence is perpetuating...this. Not only silence, but the kind of behavior being tolerated by those who don't want to 'SPEAK ON IT' is causing detriment to our youth. I'm SURE that your fight won't go in fight (not if I have anything to do/say about it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to be gay to feel the hurt the LGBT community feels when someone in their community is lost to suicide because of their chosen lifestyle. Those who are straight have to learn to respect the differences they see in others.

    ReplyDelete